Palestinians detained in connection with Dubai killing identified as Israel refuses to shed light on murky passport details

February 18, 2010
By

Dahi Tamim

The two Palestinians held by Dubai police in connection with the murder of Hamas leader Mahmoud Al Mbahouh last month have been identified by an Israeli daily as an intelligence operative and a Palestinian Authority employee.

“A Palestinian intelligence and an employee of the Palestinian Authority in Ramallah were arrested in the Jordanian capital Amman. Jordan on Tuesday confirmed it had extradited the two to Dubai,” Haaretz reported on Thursday, giving the names of the two Palestinians.

The two lived in Gaza until Hamas seized control of the Strip in 2007 and later moved to Dubai, where they were employed by a real estate company belonging to a Palestinian, the paper said.

The Gardian in London reported that a Hamas security operative is under arrest in Syria on suspicion of having assisted the hit squad.

However, according to the report, Hamas chief Khaled Meshal has denied the allegation, saying “it is not correct at all”.

In an interview with Algerian daily Echerouk, Dubai Police Chief Lieutenant General Dahi Khalfan Tamim said that one of the Palestinian detainees has admitted that he had met one of the suspects.

“He however has not given a full confession for fear of reprisals against his family. He said that he would be worried about his family if he said everything,” Tamim was quoted as saying by the Algerian paper on Thursday. “We do know that he had communicated with suspects at a time and a place that strengthen suspicions about a role for him,” he said.

In London, Israel’s Israel’s ambassador to Britain, Ron Prosor, has reportedly said that he could not shed light on the hit squad and the use of six British passports by assassins. 

Summoned by British officials to clarify what Britain called an “identity theft” in which the passports of six British Israelis were used by assassins, Prosor said following the meeting with Sir Peter Ricketts, deputy-general of the British foreign minister, that “in accordance with accepted diplomatic protocol, it would be unfitting to reveal the content of the talks conducted between the countries.”

In Israel, Foreign Ministry officials declined to comment, but, according to a report in Haaretz, an Israeli diplomat anonymously said that the government “has decided to withhold a public statement until the British message is received, and would then choose how to respond.”

         

Tags:

Search

About the author

Born August 3, 1960 in Monastir, Tunisia
Career
Media career:
  • ABC News (Tunisia)
  • Bahrain Tribune
  • Gulf News
  • Bahrain Television News
Teaching career:
  • Monastir (Tunisia)
  • University of Bahrain
Education
  • MA  Mass Communications, University of Leicester
  • BA  in English & US literature and studies, University of Tunis

Random Image

15 visitors online now
3 guests, 12 bots, 0 members
Max visitors today: 19 at 01:44 am UTC
This month: 45 at 08-06-2017 06:47 am UTC
This year: 48 at 05-21-2017 10:47 am UTC
All time: 137 at 07-08-2013 12:50 pm UTC
Better Tag Cloud