Bahrain delays case of first woman to go on trial

June 2, 2011
By

A Bahraini court on Thursday put off the case of the first woman to go on trial following political unrest, to Monday.

The National Safety Court of First Instance said that Ayat Al Qermezi was guilty of inciting hatred of the regime and of being involved in a rally to commit crimes.

However, Ayat denied the charges and pleaded not guilty.

Her case drew international attention in March following reports that she had been “raped and killed”.

The reports claimed that “doctors confirmed that Ayat had gone into coma after being raped for several times”.

“Eventually, the physicians’ efforts failed to save Ayat’s life and she died at the army hospital,” the reports, coming mainly from Iran and relayed by various blogs, said.

Ayat was hailed as a martyr in Tehran and her name was given to a boat Iranians planned to send to Bahrain allegedly to help the local population.

The vessel never reached Bahrain. Manama accused Tehran of meddling in its domestic affairs.

http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/bahrain/bahrain-delays-case-of-first-woman-to-go-on-trial-1.816739

         

Search

About the author

Born August 3, 1960 in Monastir, Tunisia
Career
Media career:
  • ABC News (Tunisia)
  • Bahrain Tribune
  • Gulf News
  • Bahrain Television News
Teaching career:
  • Monastir (Tunisia)
  • University of Bahrain
Education
  • MA  Mass Communications, University of Leicester
  • BA  in English & US literature and studies, University of Tunis

Random Image

5 visitors online now
1 guests, 4 bots, 0 members
Max visitors today: 21 at 02:47 pm UTC
This month: 45 at 08-06-2017 06:47 am UTC
This year: 48 at 05-21-2017 10:47 am UTC
All time: 137 at 07-08-2013 12:50 pm UTC
Better Tag Cloud