Kuwait’s highest court acquits six terror suspects

January 23, 2012
By

Kuwait’s Cassation Court has upheld an Appeals Court ruling to acquit six Kuwaitis charged with plotting armed attacks on the US Army’s Arifjan military camp.

The Kuwaitis, who include the son of a former lawmaker and a doctor, had been acquitted by a court of first instance in May 2010 and by the Court of Appeals in November 2010.

The ruling on Sunday is final and cannot be challenged.

According to the case papers, the six men plotted between 2004 and 2009 to blow up the camp and had Kalashnikovs, a rifle, a pistol and explosive material.

The Kuwaiti government in August 2009 said that its security forces arrested six Kuwaitis who planned to attack a US military installation. The suspects had planned to bomb Camp Arifjan during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, Kuwaiti security sources said, quoted by Kuwait News Agency.

The Arifjan camp, located south of Kuwait City, is home to the United States Air Force, United States Marine Corps, United States Navy and the United States Coast Guard.

http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/kuwait/kuwait-s-highest-court-acquits-six-terror-suspects-1.969742

         

Search

About the author

Born August 3, 1960 in Monastir, Tunisia
Career
Media career:
  • ABC News (Tunisia)
  • Bahrain Tribune
  • Gulf News
  • Bahrain Television News
Teaching career:
  • Monastir (Tunisia)
  • University of Bahrain
Education
  • MA  Mass Communications, University of Leicester
  • BA  in English & US literature and studies, University of Tunis

Random Image

15 visitors online now
1 guests, 14 bots, 0 members
Max visitors today: 18 at 12:52 am UTC
This month: 45 at 08-06-2017 06:47 am UTC
This year: 48 at 05-21-2017 10:47 am UTC
All time: 137 at 07-08-2013 12:50 pm UTC
Better Tag Cloud