Saudis spend 50 million riyals on New Year’s Eve in Bahrain

January 12, 2013
By

Saudis spent around 50 million riyals (Dh48.94 million) in Bahrain on Monday evening to celebrate the New Year.

Experts said that the money was spent in cinemas, hotels and restaurants, Saudi newspaper Al Youm reported.

According to the daily, 40,000 cars used the 25-kilometre-long King Fahd Causeway, the only terrestrial link between Bahrain and Saudi Arabia, on Monday afternoon and evening.

Last year, 30,000 cars driven by Gulf nationals and expatriates living mainly in Saudi Arabia, Qatar and Kuwait crossed the causeway ahead of the New Year celebrations on the island.

On Monday, police and customs officers had to deal with a heavy rush with cars queuing up for dozens of metres even though all booths were open to ensure smooth traffic, Saudi officials told the daily.

Thousands of Saudis and foreigners living in Saudi Arabia drive into Bahrain over the Thursday-Friday weekend, mainly for entertainment, while thousands of Bahrainis travel into the Saudi kingdom, mainly for shopping and family visits.

The causeway, opened in November 1986, is one of the busiest traffic areas in the Arab world.

http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/saudi-arabia/saudis-spend-50-million-riyals-in-bahrain-1.1126700

         

Search

About the author

Born August 3, 1960 in Monastir, Tunisia
Career
Media career:
  • ABC News (Tunisia)
  • Bahrain Tribune
  • Gulf News
  • Bahrain Television News
Teaching career:
  • Monastir (Tunisia)
  • University of Bahrain
Education
  • MA  Mass Communications, University of Leicester
  • BA  in English & US literature and studies, University of Tunis

Random Image

10 visitors online now
0 guests, 10 bots, 0 members
Max visitors today: 21 at 02:26 am UTC
This month: 45 at 08-06-2017 06:47 am UTC
This year: 48 at 05-21-2017 10:47 am UTC
All time: 137 at 07-08-2013 12:50 pm UTC
Better Tag Cloud